Our robust and mobile floating desalination plant uses only wave power to run a desalination process offshore.
Our unique approach enables freshwater production in deep ocean waters using our patent-pending solution for capturing fluctuating wave energy to provide a stable flow of pressurized seawater.
Our desalinator delivers fresh water to shore through pipes along the seabed. A fleet of units could provide fresh water to an entire city.
Depending on customer need, we can offer a Build-Own-Operate (BOO) model, where we finance the desalination plants, build, operate and maintain the plants, and ultimately deliver desalinated water to our customers under long-term contracts.
Desalination growth and offshore potential
Currently, a little over 1% of the world’s freshwater is desalinated. The industry is growing, and set to double by 2030, but we believe offshore desalination brings a new dimension and added opportunities to this growth. Utilizing wave power in deep waters ensures a clean intake of water, and allows brine discharge away from sensitive nearshore zones. Moreover, the solution is flexible and zero-emission. Our analysis shows that offshore desalination is applicable to roughly 25% of the world’s coastlines, where wave action is sufficiently constant, or where seasonal events (e.g. monsoon) allow for flexible top-up services. Flexible offshore desalination can either precede, complement or replace expensive, land- and power-hungry onshore desalination plants.
Potential markets for our unique offshore desalination service include but are not limited to:
- Permanent or top-up contracts with large utilities and municipalities
- Flexible solutions for coastal construction or mining projects (with no construction time and zero abandonment costs at the end of life-of-mine)
- Seasonal or permanent contracts with island communities
- Seasonal or permanent water for coastal or island tourist destinations
- Freshwater solutions for remote ports
- Offshore specialty requirements - e.g. offshore aquaculture
Customer value proposition
- Ocean Oasis can supply potable water at a cost that at least matches any other solution, provided the wave environment is suitable.
- In addition, our solution is flexible - ready to supply water from day one after the plant is towed into location.
- Our solution is scalable
- Our solution involves zero emissions and zero requirements for land use.
- Contracting is generally simplified owing to the avoidance of most if not all issues relating to land- and water rights.