Our robust and mobile floating desalination plant uses only wave power to run a desalination process offshore.
Our unique approach enables freshwater production in deep ocean waters using our patent-pending solution for capturing fluctuating wave energy to provide a stable flow of pressurized seawater.
Our desalinator delivers fresh water to shore through pipes along the seabed. Each of our units will have an annual production of approx. 584 000 m3 water, covering the water supply for approximately 2000 households. A fleet of units could provide fresh water to an entire city.
Depending on customer need, we can offer a Build-Own-Operate (BOO) model, where we finance the desalination plants, build, operate and maintain the plants, and ultimately deliver desalinated water to our customers under long-term contracts.
Desalination growth and offshore potential
Currently, a little over 1% of the world’s freshwater is desalinated. The industry is growing, and set to double by 2030, but we believe offshore desalination brings a new dimension and added opportunities to this growth. Utilizing wave power in deep waters ensures a clean intake of water, and allows brine discharge away from sensitive nearshore zones. Moreover, the solution is flexible and zero-emission. Our analysis shows that offshore desalination is applicable to roughly 25% of the world’s coastlines, where wave action is sufficiently constant, or where seasonal events (e.g. monsoon) allow for flexible top-up services. Flexible offshore desalination can either precede, complement or replace expensive, land- and power-hungry onshore desalination plants.
Potential markets for our unique offshore desalination service include but are not limited to:
- Permanent or top-up contracts with large utilities and municipalities
- Flexible solutions for coastal construction or mining projects (with no construction time and zero abandonment costs at the end of life-of-mine)
- Seasonal or permanent contracts with island communities
- Seasonal or permanent water for coastal or island tourist destinations
- Freshwater solutions for remote ports
- Offshore specialty requirements - e.g. offshore aquaculture
Customer value proposition
- Ocean Oasis can supply potable water at a cost that at least matches any other solution, provided the wave environment is suitable.
- In addition, our solution is flexible - ready to supply water from day one after the plant is towed into location.
- Our solution is scalable - each plant is capable of producing 600,000 m3 water annually; sufficient for 2,000 households. Daily production averaging 1,650 m3 will vary depending on wave conditions. For requirements exceeding this amount additional plants can be added connecting to the same landfall.
- Our solution involves zero emissions and zero requirements for land use.
- Contracting is generally simplified owing to the avoidance of most if not all issues relating to land- and water rights.